Saturday, May 3, 2008

Patricia's Yarns in Hoboken

This afternoon, I went to Patricia's Yarns in Hoboken (Fourth Street & Washington for anyone who wants to visit). I've been there before, but just to buy yarn a few times. When I went in, there were a bunch of people in the store, just hanging out, knitting. It was fantastic. Patricia herself was out of town this weekend, but her husband Adam and their dog Riley were manning the store. Margaux helped me find the perfect yarn for the tank top that I wanted to make for my mom. It's blue sky alpaca yarn in the thistle color. I love it. Look how inviting it looks in the adorable (and environmentally-friendly-because-it-is-so-strong) Patricia's Yarns bag:

And how gorgeous is the yarn itself???

Here's a closeup:
At Margaux's suggestion, I did a gauge swatch. It's a good thing, too, because the yarn I originally chose would have been much too small. Apparently, I am a very tight knitter. The pattern called for size 8 needles and the thinner yarn. I wound up working on size 9 needles and this much thicker yarn.

I'm excited about the tank top! The yarn is so soft and fabulous to work with!

No comments: