Sunday, March 9, 2008

Blockhead

First, I found a new knitting store on Saturday. It's called The Skein Attraction and it's on Cedar Lane in Teaneck, NJ. Not far from my parents' house. Looks like I may be visiting home more often... The ladies there were lovely, familial, and helpful. Shaina, Adina, and Julie Friedman own the shop -- I think they were all there when I went in. Everyone was very helpful and kind, whether working in the store or sitting and knitting. I went in primarily to ask how to block. I needed to block Melanie's scarf. I had no idea it was so easy! I went in, and the ladies there helped me out, no problem. Sunday, I blocked, tonight fringe, and tomorrow, the presentment.

Here are some pictures of the blocked scarf:

(on the ironing board)



(and on Mom, in her library, her favorite room of the house)



Of course, I bought something from the Friedmans, one skein of Ritratto in a beautiful plum and orange color. I am going to try to make myself a shawl to wear with the dress from my brother's wedding. I wanted to take it to really look at it next to the dress in different lights and to ask my mother's opinion. $13 a skein is a bit much for me (I am used to using cheap acrylics, remember) but I thought I would splurge. So Tuesday when they open, I will be calling for the remaining 3 balls in the same dye lot. I don't think I can knit enough to be ready to wear it on the 29th, even if I knit, didn't go to school, and didn't sleep until then. But I may very well try. I also didn't want to just go in and ask for advice on how to block without first establishing a relationship, and well, also, I'm sort of a sucker, despite the goal of working down my stash.

In addition to my yarn, they gave me this:

How freakin' cute is he? He's a sheep, and he's smushy and he has their name and phone number on his back.

Tonight, I start the Swirled Pearl Shawlette (minus the pearls) to make for myself. I don't think I will finish it by Barrister's Ball on the 29th, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try...

No comments: