Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Definition of Kitsch

I also started a hat for Garrett's birthday, but it is entirely different. I am making him this: http://www.stitchymcyarnpants.com/tincan/beercan.html and I am so excited about it. I'm excited because he's having a party on Friday at a place in the city and he will *so* wear it there. If anyone would wear this hat, it is Garrett. My roommate was kind enough to drink the cans of beer I needed for the hat. He did make fun of the safety goggles and protective gloves that I got to be safe while cutting the aluminum cans, though. Which is understandable. I must have looked ridiculous. Cutting the cans was definitely the most difficult part. I didn't want to be crocheting and worrying about cutting myself on the cut sides of the cans, so I got this tape for the edges.
I put it around the edges (it does make it a little more difficult to punch the holes in it) and then punched holes and crocheted around the edges. I just have to find out from Garrett what size hat he wears because I don't know if six panels around will be too big. I feel like it will be. I asked him what size hat he wears, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. As soon as he does, I can finish it. All in all, it wasn't too difficult, it was lots of fun, Matt got to drink lots of beer, and it helped me work on knitting down my stash.

This is a sample square:

And this is a sample semicircle for the brim:

No comments: